At DMSRetail, we often get questions on Store Manager job description.
Below is an illustration of the various dimensions, skills and actions a good Store Manager performs and demonstrates on a constant and continuous basis from performance management point of view, we call this the Store Management Process.
There is a whole other set of functions and tasks that store managers perform on a daily basis in terms of administration and upkeep of the store.
Nevertheless the main focus is to reach the sales and profit objectives that are set for the store.
It is our intention to turn this document into a conventional statement of a job description by expanding on the definition and the best practices for each and every one of the skills and action items.
This ultimately would lead to a most comprehensive definition of a Store Management or Store Manager job description.
It is obvious that some of the required actions involves head office guidance/direction/decision like compensation.
Nevertheless, the store manager has to understand the implications of the compensation plan to be able to use it to maximize the store productivity and effectiveness.
Similarly, and usually, hiring process requires some degree of involvement from the Human Resources.
It has been our experience that majority of retail chains leave the final hiring decision at the store level with the store manager.
That is in line with DMSRetail’s performance management principle which clearly states that the final hiring decision must always be made by the manager who will be directly responsible for the individual’s performance.
Along with other training tools that are available from DMSRetail, Balanced Scorecards and their use in Retail Management is covered in Retail Math Made Simple and specifically Retail Math Made Simple Presentation DVD.
There are many store management tips and training tools on this website and we recommend that the reader consult with those pages to have a more rounded understanding of Store Management responsibilities, duties and functions.
Short Job Description for Retail Store Manager:
- Responsible and accountable for planning and directing the day-to-day operations of a retail store.
- Follows and develops strategies to improve customer service, drive store sales, and increase profitability.
- Ensures customer needs are met, complaints are resolved, and service is quick and efficient.
- Ensures all products and displays are merchandised effectively (as per head office guidance) to maximize sales and profitability.
- Responsible for staffing needs and recruitment to provide optimal staffing in the store (with help and input from HR as well as District Manager).
- May require a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and preferably 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Familiar with a variety of retail concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment (as well as District Manager support) to plan and accomplish goals.
- Leads and directs the work of store staff.
- Typically reports to District Manager.
Below is the Store Management Process Flow-Chart depicting the important actions store manager has to take to ensure performance.
Full coverage of Store Management Process is at the Store Management for Max Success YourTime Study Course.
Check out DMSRetail’s Success Guide for the Store Managers:
Want to Get Organized in Store Management?
Introducing the DMSRetailer™
The Only Organizer Exclusively for Store Managers. The DMSRetailer™ includes sections that correspond to actual activities that take place in a retail store and other sections that allow you to get organized and perform at the top of your game. For more information, click the button below:
Best Practices for Managing a Multi-Unit Retail Operation
If you own, or are in charge of, multiple stores this is the training program for you. You’ll learn everything you need to know to make sure your stores are firing on all cylinders, creating synergy and achieving success levels you have not seen before.
Now you can get this quality training wherever you are!
Click below for more information and/or registration: