Removing Obstacles to Peak Performance
2 – Hour Online Training Webinar
Thursday November 26, 2020 – 10:00 AM EST (3:00 PM London, UK)
Perhaps the most important function of a District Manager is to remove obstacles for Store Management and other field personnel, to help them achieve their targets.
Naturally, we are talking about obstacles above and beyond those that Store Managers should be expected to deal with themselves.
Some new, or inexperienced, District Managers may not even quite understand the concept of removing obstacles for store teams…never mind actually knowing how to do it, so we thought a little advice and instruction would help.
If you are a retail business owner, you need to ensure everyone on your organisational chart knows all about removing obstacles and how important it is to the success of the business.
If you are a District Manager, removing obstacles is your hard work to do and you cannot delegate it, run from it or wish it away.
The success of your part of the business depends on your dedication to removing obstacles and being successful at it!
Store Managers should be well aware that they are expected to bring forward any issues getting in the way of business. But, they have a lot on their plates and may not always be able to identify those issues.
That is where the DM comes in. And, here’s how it’s done…
• Visit all stores, often.
• Stay out of the backroom but for a few minutes here and there to check email, return texts and calls, discuss confidential matters, etc. Your reason for being is to assist your store teams in driving the business and that is difficult to do from the backroom. It’s pretty much like leading from behind.
• During every visit observe, ask questions and probe. Don’t ever assume that there are no obstacles. It could very well be that your teams are just tired of fighting with no positive result.
• When a true obstacle is identified, do something about it right then and there. If the obstacle is clearly in the way of moving the business forward, make a phone call, send a text or email, get information to help move your mission forward and do it on the spot.
• Enlist the help of store management and teams to keep the mission top of mind for all concerned.
• Make a list of ‘to-do’s’ in order to get the obstacle removed.
• Be a dog with a bone until the mission is completed.
A District Manager is responsible for a group of stores/business units and must rely, heavily, on the people who are in those stores for the majority of their time.
Good Store Managers are always looking for new ways to drive their business forward. Presumably, they are on top of their KPI’s and are making sure employee performance is optimum.
But, when it comes to issues outside of their stores, they will run into road blocks or obstacles from time to time. Some things are just not within their power to change. They need higher management to help them with those things.
Whatever is creating the problem is adversely affecting their business so the Store Manager can’t abdicate responsibility… but s/he deserves the assistance of higher management in dealing with the entire process.
Thursday November 26, 2020 – 11:00 AM EST (4:00 PM London, UK)
Purchase Webinar Pass and Save: